What does a Thermostat do?
The thermostat is part of the cooling system in every car. It consists of a metal valve that regulates the amount of coolant that flows to the engine. It maintains the engine's temperature at a constant and optimal level. If the engine runs hot the valve in the thermostat opens and lets more coolant flow to the engine (from the radiator) in other cases it stays closed.
How do you know there is something wrong with the Thermostat?
- When the 'Check Engine' light is on.
- When the 'Engine Temperature warning light is on.
- When the engine runs at a higher temperature than usual.
- When the car's heater has failed.
When should you consider a Thermostat replacement?
Over time problems can occur with the thermostat due extensive use. The thermostat is in use when the engine runs with the valve opening and closing continuously, to keep the engine at the ideal temperature. It is one of the most common components in the cooling system to fail and can, moreover, lead to the engine overheating and potentially suffer severe engine damage.
Additionally, it can also get clogged up by dirt in the engine coolant meaning that less coolant can circulate through the system, causing the engine to overheat as well. Should you experience an issue like this or those listed earlier, it is advisable to have the starter motor inspected as soon as possible and, if necessary, have it replaced.
Seeing that the thermostat is a component that is especially prone to wear it should always be serviced as and when stipulated in the guidelines set out by your car's manufacturer.
What happens during a Thermostat replacement?
- Mechanic will read the ECU to see if there are any related fault codes.
- Mechanic will inspect the thermostat and the cooling system.
- If necessary, the mechanic will replace the thermostat.
- Mechanic will close the cooling system and refill the system with engine coolant.
- Mechanic will run the engine and, if necessary, test drive the car.
- Mechanic will make any adjustments if necessary.
How much does a Thermostat replacement cost?
The cost of replacing the thermostat depends on your car and what parts your car's manufacturer recommends using for the replacement. Find out what you could save by having your thermostat replaced by ClickMechanic, by selecting your car at the top of this page!