What does a cambelt do?
The cambelt, or timing belt, is a belt that drives the camshaft (which operates the valves on the engine) off the crankshaft. It is a vital component of the engine and, as it is made from rubber, can wear and eventually break if not replaced as and when the manufacturer recommends.
How do you know there is something wrong with the cambelt?
- When there is a grinding or squeaking noise coming from the engine compartment (specifically from the engine itself).
- When the car will not start (this happens if the belt has broken).
When should you consider replacing your cambelt?
If the cambelt breaks while the engine runs it leads to severe engine damage. It can throw the valve timing off course, in which case the pistons will likely destroy valves in the cylinder head.
Secondly, always remember to replace the timing belt when stipulated in the car manufacturer's service schedule. If you happen to notice your belt is brittle or has cracks before the usual maintenance date it should also be replaced as soon as possible to avoid further damage to the engine. Seeing the expensive damage that can be done by a faulty belt that is relatively cheap to replace it is only advisable that you should not take chances with the belt.
What happens during a cambelt replacement?
- Mechanic will disassemble parts of the engine necessary to access the cambelt
- Mechanic will inspect the cambelt, the belt's pulleys and tensioner.
- If necessary, the cambelt will be replaced by the mechanic.
- Mechanic will advise if any other parts need to be replaced.
- Mechanic will ensure the timing of the belt is correct.
- Mechanic will start the engine and check to see if the engine runs as it should do, making adjustments if necessary.
How much does a cambelt Replacement cost?
The cost of a timing belt replacement depends on your car and what parts your car's manufacturer recommends using for the replacement. Find out what you could save by having your cambelt replaced by Clickmechanic, by selecting your car at the top of this page!