What does a Water Pump do?
The water pump is situated in the engine bay and pumps the engine coolant around the cooling system, ensuring fresh coolant is circulated through the engine at all times. The water pump is usually driven off the engine's serpentine belt (or drive belt).
How do you know there is something wrong with the Water Pump?
- When there are patches of fluid visible under the car (near the engine).
- When fluid has leaked in the engine bay around the water pump.
- When the car will not start.
- When the engine temperature is higher than normal (engine overheats).
- When the 'Engine Temperature' warning light is on.
When should you consider a Water Pump replacement?
Over time, components of the water pump can wear out, either leading to leaks or a reduced pumping capacity. In most cases it is one of the seals that leak, in others the rotating part of the pump might have been damaged. In the worst case scenario the pump will not pump any coolant through the system which can lead to the car overheating which, ultimately, can lead to severe engine damage.
Should you experience problems with the pump like those listed earlier, then it is advisable to have the water pump inspected and, if necessary, have it replaced. Seeing that the water pump is a component that is especially prone to wear it should always be serviced as and when stipulated in the guidelines set out by your car's manufacturer.
What happens during a Water Pump replacement?
- Mechanic will inspect the water pump and the cooling system.
- Mechanic will subject the cooling system to a pressure test which should reveal any leaks.
- If necessary, the mechanic will replace the water pump.
- Mechanic will advise if any other parts need to be replaced.
- Mechanic will inspect the system again, test drive the car and check for any leaks.
- Mechanic will make any adjustments if necessary.
How much does a Water Pump replacement cost?
The cost of replacing the water pump depends on your car and what parts your car's manufacturer recommends using for the replacement. Find out what you could save by having your water pump replaced by Clickmechanic, by selecting your car at the top of this page!