What does a PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) valve do?
The valve is part of the positive crankcase ventilation system that is attached to the engine. Simply put, the system recirculates the harmful gases that develop inside the crankcase back into the cylinders to be reused in another combustion cycle. The valve regulates how much of and when the gases are recirculated back into the cylinders.
How do you know there is something wrong with the PCV Valve?
- When the 'Engine Oil' warning light is on.
- When the engine runs at a higher temperature than usual (overheating).
- When there are leaks underneath the car.
- When there are leaks / moist patches near the engine.
- When the engine does not run as smooth as usual.
When should you consider a PCV valve replacement?
Over time problems can occur with the PCV valve, this is mostly down to poor maintenance. The valve can, for example, get clogged up with oil sludge. Inadequate oil change intervals are a main cause for the valve going faulty. Should this happen, then the engine is at risk of being supplied with too little air, leading to a fuel mixture that is too rich and, potentially, a damaged engine.
It is therefore advisable that the PCV valve is cleaned or replaced each time the spark plugs or air filter is replaced. Should you experience an issue like those listed earlier, it is advisable to have the PCV valve inspected and, if necessary, have it replaced.
Seeing that PCV valve is prone to wear it should at least always be replaced as and when stipulated in the guidelines set out by your car's manufacturer.
What happens during an PCV valve replacement?
- Mechanic will inspect the PCV system and valve for leaks.
- If necessary, the mechanic will replace the PCV valve, by disconnecting the PCV's hoses.
- Mechanic will advise if any other parts need to be replaced (like the oil filter).
- Mechanic will reconnect the hoses.
- Mechanic will run the engine and, if necessary, test drive the car.
- Adjustments are made where necessary.
How much does a PCV Valve replacement cost?
The cost of replacing the valve of the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) system depends on your car and what parts your car's manufacturer recommends using for the replacement. Find out what you could save by having your PCV valve replaced by Clickmechanic, by selecting your car at the top of this page!