What does a Windscreen Wiper Motor do?
The windscreen wiper / washer system enables you to clean your windscreen while driving. The wiper blades move over the windscreen's surface to clean it of dirt and debris. The wipers are powered by an electric motor mounted underneath the windscreen.
How do you know there is something wrong with the Windscreen Wiper Motor?
- When the wipers do not move.
- When the wipers move slowly or unsmoothly.
- When the wipers do not turn off.
- When the wipers only work on one speed.
When should you consider a Windscreen Wiper Motor replacement?
Over time, a windscreen wiper motor can wear or fail completely. That said, if the wipers do not move and the motor makes no noise it is not necessarily the motor that is faulty. It can be that the system has blown a fuse or electrical connectors have corroded or have come loose.
Equally, it might be that the wiper switch has failed. All leading to the fact that no, or a reduced electrical current reaches the motor. At an inspection the mechanic will establish, step by step, what the exact fault in the electrical system is before replacing any parts.
Should you experience problems with a windscreen wiper system then it is advisable that you have it inspected as soon as possible. If necessary, have the wiper motor replaced. Always remember to service the windscreen wiper motor as and when stipulated in the guidelines set out by your car's manufacturer.
What happens during a Windscreen Wiper Motor replacement?
- The mechanic will inspect the windscreen wiper system.
- The mechanic will carry out checks to determine the exact fault in the electrical system.
- If necessary, the mechanic will replace the windscreen wiper motor.
- The mechanic will advise if any other parts need to be replaced.
- The mechanic will test the windscreen's wiper system to ensure it works correctly.
- If necessary, the mechanic will make adjustments.
How much does a Windscreen Wiper Motor Replacement cost?
The cost of a windscreen wiper motor replacement depends on your car and what parts your car's manufacturer recommends using for the replacement. Find out what you could save by having your windscreen wiper motor replaced by ClickMechanic, by selecting your car at the top of this page!