What does a Heater Blower Fan do?
The heater blower fan is part of the heating system in your car. It is a unit comprising of a motor that blows air into the passenger compartment. It does not just blow warm air when the heater is on, but cool air too (provided the heater is turned off of course). Moreover, it circulates the air through the cabin to ensure a continuous, fresh, supply of air.
How do you know there is something wrong with a Heater Blower Fan?
- When the fan does not work at all (i.e. when it does not push air through the air vents).
- When the air coming from the air vents is not as strong as usual.
- When the fan's operating speed stays the same even when changing its speed.
When should you consider a Heater Blower Fan replacement?
Over time, the heater blower fan's motor can wear and fail. In many instances it should be cheaper to replace the heater blower unit completely than replacing parts individually (if at all possible). Sometimes a faulty heater blower fan can also be due to a bad electrical connection, for example, due to a connector that had to endure an inordinate amount of heat and has subsequently started to melt. In this case replacing the connector would suffice. That said, it is important that any issues are addressed as quickly as possible to prevent further damage.
Should you experience problems with the heater blower fan, then it is advisable to have the fan unit inspected and, if necessary, have it replaced. Seeing that the fan is especially prone to wear over time it should always be serviced as and when stipulated in the guidelines set out by your car's manufacturer.
What happens during a Heater Blower Fan replacement?
- Mechanic will read the ECU for possible fault codes related to the heating system.
- Mechanic will inspect the heating system and the heater blower fan.
- If necessary, the mechanic will replace the heater blower fan.
- Mechanic will advise if any other parts need replacing.
- Mechanic will inspect the heating system once again and test the heater blower fan.
How much does a Heater Blower Fan replacement cost?
The cost of replacing a heater blower fan depends on your car and what parts your car's manufacturer recommends using for the replacement. Find out what you could save by having a heater blower fan replaced by ClickMechanic, by selecting your car at the top of this page!