Top Mechanics For Head Gasket Repair & Replacements in Bristol
Garage in Bristol, 40 years of experience
Carcraft Servicing and repairs has been operating since 1980 The garage offers a 5 bay workshop and an additional MOT bay for class 4 testing. We offer alloy and steel welding inc alloy wheel repairs , servi...
FIONA, Bristol • 11th April 2018
Garage serving Bristol, 22 years of experience
Curbside repairs are a local, highly reliable mobile mechanic service offering complete range of car maintenance repairs at your door step road side or work place. All makes and models of cars, vans, MPV’s a...
Mobile mechanic serving Bristol, 21 years of experience
I completed my apprenticeship at Brunel Ford in Bristol for around 4 years before moving to Mercedes and Vauxhall respectively to gain valuable knowledge and understand different makes & models of cars. I h...
JOSEPH, Bristol • 28th April 2020
Mobile mechanic serving Bristol, 28 years of experience
I began my career with a local garage when I left school in 1988 and in 1994 I moved to Australia and worked in a European specialist car garage for a few years before moving to work with Lamborghini for 8...
WARREN, BURNHAM ON SEA • 19th January 2019
Mobile mechanic serving Bristol, 15 years of experience
I did my apprenticeship at a garage in Swindon as I studied with Northstar College. After graduating I left and went to Charlie Browns auto services for 2-3 years. Following my time at Charlie Browns I went ...
ROBERT, LECHLADE • 30th September 2015
Ford Fusion • Cylinder head & gasket replacement
Garage in Cardiff, 7 years of experience
I have been in the trade since 17 years old, so have over 7 years experience under my belt and am qualified up to NVQ level 3. I started out officially completing my apprenticeship with JJ Motors in Cardiff ...
ALAN, Cardiff • 13th July 2018
Mobile mechanic in Gloucester, 11 years of experience
I began my career with Marchant's Coaches in Cheltenham where I completed my apprenticeship and worked through college in Bristol. In total I was with Marchant's for around 5 years. I moved to the Glouces...
Garage in Amesbury, 19 years of experience
I began my career in Weybridge, Surrey for a number of garages picking up great experience to start me off before moving to the New Malden area for a number of years. Prior to setting-up my own business in 2...
Garage in Hampshire, 73 years of experience
We are a village garage and have been providing garage services to the local area since 1949 we are a family run business. Our services include: All vehicle repairs, Mot’s, servicing, winter checks and diagn...
CHARLOTTE, BOURNEMOUTH • 10th January 2023
Mobile mechanic in Bournemouth, 9 years of experience
I have 9 years of experience in the auto repair industry. iv worked for a variety of garages for several years and have now decided to further pursue the mobile side of the industry. I can repair all makes &...
CHRISTINE, Southampton • 22nd April 2016
Garage in West Bromwich, 25 years of experience
KJ Motors is an independent garage based in West Bromwich with a five star rating on google and check a trader . Sid as he is affectionately known by the locals owns and runs the garage. Sid is a fully quali...
THOMAS, WORCESTER • 18th May 2019
Vauxhall Zafira • Cylinder head gasket replacement
Garage in Bristol, 9 years of experience
Lathaniel owns Letang Auto Electrics and the business has been operating since 2015 and branched out in mechanical repairs after specialising in tow-bars and auto electrics originally when the business first...
JOE, Somerset • 28th March 2023
Land Rover Discovery Sport • Battery replacement (vehicles with stop/start system)
Garage in Bristol, 53 years of experience
The Company’s Roadside Assistance brand is now the preferred choice for the South of England and has become synonymous with efficiency, punctuality and courtesy resulting in all the major motoring organisati...
Garage in Bristol, 9 years of experience
Mobile mechanic and Garage Service offering services in Bristol and the surrounding areas. Why visit a garage? when you can opt for the convenience of a mechanic that comes to you, whether at home or at wor...
Garage in Bristol, 24 years of experience
I began my career on the YTS scheme through an independent Ford garage. I spent some time working in independent garages gaining experience on a range of makes & models. I moved into a dealership environmen...
SIMON, Bristol • 28th February 2023
Vauxhall Meriva • MOT with collection & delivery
Frequently asked questions about head gasket repair & replacements in Bristol
Read our answers to questions about head gasket repair costs, symptoms and more.
What does a cylinder head gasket replacement in Bristol involve?
There are differences between engines on the exact process and components, but the typical engine will require most of the following basics to be done
- Mechanic will check that the head gasket is faulty.
- The engine will be drained of oil and coolant.
- Components will be removed to allow access to the rocker cover and ultimately, the cylinder head bolts.
- The engine timing will be locked in place using specifically designed pins and locking tools.
- The timing belt will be removed, or the timing chain loosened off and moved off the camshaft sprockets.
- The cylinder head will then be undone in a specific sequence.
- Once all the bolts are out, the cylinder head will be removed and the surface of the engine block and cylinder head will be cleaned of all residue of the old gasket.
- In the case of the majority of cylinder heads, it will need to be pressure tested to ensure it’s structure is sound and then go through a process called skimming. This process ensures that the surface that the new gasket will come into contact with is perfectly flat and clean.
- Once the mechanic has completed the work on the components, the engine is reassembled with a new cylinder head gasket.
- If the engine’s camshaft(s) are driven by a timing belt, this belt will be renewed along with a new water pump if it is on the timing belt circuit.
- Once the engine is back together, the cooling system will be refilled and the oil replenished along with a new filter.
- If the oil has become contaminated with the coolant, an additional oil flush may be required and likewise, if the cooling system has become contaminated, the cooling system will be flushed.
- Once everything is back together, the mechanic will run the engine.
- Finally a road test will ensure that everything works as it should when the engine comes up to temperature and finally any error codes present will be cleared down and re-checked.
As we mentioned previously, this is not a full exhaustive list of what will be done as each engine has its own requirements.
What are the symptoms of a blown head gasket?
In most cases the symptoms of a cylinder head gasket are pretty apparent, some however take a little know how and some tools to confirm. Typical symptoms though are;
- A cream-like colour and consistency in the oil (usually seen on the engine oil dipstick) or in the cooling system header tank.
- Coolant overflowing out of the cooling system header tank.
- An unexplained loss of coolant.
- Difficulty in starting the engine.
- Evidence of exhaust gasses in the cooling system.
- Poor engine compression.
How long does it take to change a head gasket?
The time it takes to carry out a head gasket replacement can range from 5 hours to more than a day. Ultimately, the time that the job will take will depend on a number of factors, like your vehicle's make and model, year, type of engine, as well as other factors. Select your car at the top of this page for information on job time and cost for your vehicle through ClickMechanic.
How do I prevent head gasket problems?
To help prevent head gasket issues:
* Regularly check and top up the coolant level as required
* Follow the manufacturere recommended service schedule
* Inspect the engine regularly for leaks, to spot any issues early. If you see any, have them repaired as soon as possible.
Is a faulty head gasket an MOT failure?
Since the head gasket is not checked during an MOT test, it is likely that a faulty head gasket will pass an MOT. However, keep in mind that a faulty head gasket can cause problems with emissions - which is a critical point on the MOT checklist!
What are the symptoms of a bad cylinder?
Common signs of a bad cylinder include:
* Loss of power
* Poor engine performance
* Coolant leaking
* Overheating of the engine
* Smoke (from tailpipe or from cylinder head itself)
How much does it cost to repair a blown gasket in Bristol?
Repairing a head gasket can cost anywhere from £500 to over £2000 depending on the make and model of the car. Most of the cost is attributed to labour as the process can take 8-10 hours as it requires the mechanic to disassemble the top of the engine, and in some cases may have to remove the engine from the car.
What are the first signs of a blown head gasket?
The first signs of a blown head gasket are usually:
- Steam and/or water coming from the tailpipe
- White smoke coming from the tailpipe
- Loss of power
Can Bristol garages offer home collection and delivery for head gasket repair?
Yes, many garages in Bristol are able to offer collection and delivery for a head gasket repair. With ClickMechanic collection & delivery is free if your vehicle is drivable. Once booked a mechanic will pick up the vehicle on the day and time of your choice, do the work, and return the vehicle at a time convenient to you. Simply enter your vehicle registration number and postcode to get an upfront price for a head gasket repair in Bristol.
Can Bristol mobile mechanics do head gasket repair at my home or office?
Typically no, Bristol mobile mechanics cannot do a head gasket repair at your home or office, because the repair may need to be carried out on a ramp, and may need specialist equipment. Also, the time involved to carry out the work may make it more practical to carry out the work at a garage. However, if there are still some doubts as to what repair is needed, mobile mechanics may be able to carry out a diagnostic inspection at your home or office and then take the car to a garage to carry out the head gasket repair.
How much does a head gasket repair cost in Bristol?
The average cost of a head gasket repair in Bristol varies between £551 and £726, depending on your car's make and model. See the averages for different makes below. We consolidate industry standard data with millions of data points to give you the most accurate price.
We have quotes for the top 51 manufacturers.
Prices could not be created for 30 models. Show ∨
- Mitsubishi Fuso
- Ford US
- Great Wall
- Aston Martin
- London Taxi's International
Estimates on repair costs, such as the above results for a head gasket repair, are created by combining data from multiple third-party sources. The actual cost of using your local repair providers may be outside of the estimated range. We provide estimates on repair costs for information only and accept no liability for any inaccuracies or errors. If you think an estimate is incorrect, please contact us to let us know.
Book a trusted mechanic today
Get an instant quote, then book a vetted mechanic to fix your car at your home or office.
- Vetted mechanics
- Save up to 50%
- Fast online booking
Mechanics in and around Bristol
- Akb, Bristol
- Attiwells Vehicle Maintenance Ltd, North Devon
- Carcraft, Bristol